LET’S MAKE SURE Rexdale Community Benefits from Woodbine Casino Development!
WHAT WE ARE ASKING FOR:
- Job training for North Etobicoke residents
- Jobs for local residents and historically-disadvantaged groups
- Child care support for casino employees hired through these programs
- College/university scholarships for area residents
- Community access to venues and facilities in the new development
- A fair share of operating revenues to support community programs
In 2007, Community Organizing for Responsible Development (CORD) was created to improve the coordination and integration of local community needs into the proposed Woodbine Live! Project.
Since then, CORD has been building a grassroots coalition of residents, workers and community groups in Etobicoke North to organize for local community benefits.
Although the development project fell through, many of the community’s concerns championed by CORD were adopted by Toronto City Council in 2015 as conditions for its approval of expanded gaming at Woodbine.
In August 2017, Ontario Lottery and Gaming (OLG) announced that it had selected Ontario Gaming GTA LP (partnership between Great Canadian Gaming - 49%, Brookfield Business Partners - 49% and Clairvest Group - 2%) as the service provider for the existing slots and future casino at the Woodbine Racetrack in Rexdale. The duration of the agreement is 22 years.
Members of CORD, which is now part of the Toronto Community Benefits Network (TCBN), are once again engaged in the campaign, and are looking to secure a Community Benefits Agreement for ProjectRex. Download the proposal summary.