Coalition of Black Trade Unionists
The Coalition of Black Trade Unionists consists of members from seventy-seven international and national unions with forty two chapters across the country. CBTU seeks to fulfill the dream of those Black trade unionists, both living and deceased, who throughout this century have courageously and unremittingly struggled to build a national movement that would bring all our strengths and varied talents to bear in the unending effort to achieve economic, political and social justice for every American.
The basic objectives of the CBTU are reflected in its activities and projects:
- Improve economic development and employment opportunities for black workers.
- Work within the framework of the trade union movement to provide a voice and vehicle for greater black and minority participation.
- Increase union involvement in voter registration, voter education and voter turnout projects.
- Organize unorganized workers.
- Actively support civil rights and civic groups working to improve living and working conditions in the black community.
- Increase effective political alliances between labor, churches and the general community.
CBTU will continue to support job training initiatives and programs aimed at reducing the black youth unemployment rate, which consistently hovers around 50%. Recognizing the correlation between youth unemployment and education, CBTU chapters continue their support for the public school systems and oppose reduced funding for educational projects and programs, particularly those involving inner city schools.
CBTU will continue to work for protection of consumers from escalating price increase for the four necessities of life: food, energy, housing and medical care, the areas where inflation hits hardest. We oppose cutbacks in social programs, health, welfare, aid to the cities and support services for the disadvantaged until they are replaced with full employment and other necessary safety nets.
We pledge to work in coalition with organized labor and other allies whose mission is consistent with these objectives.