Black Business and Professional Association
ABOUT THE BLACK BUSINESS AND PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATION
Founded in 1983, the BBPA is a non-profit, charitable organization that addresses equity and opportunity for the Black community in business, employment, education and economic development.
To advance Canada’s Black communities by delivering programs that support business and professional excellence, higher education and economic development.
To be the organization of choice serving the Black community’s business, professional and economic development needs.
- To encourage and support the pursuit of entrepreneurship, business, professional excellence, higher education and economic empowerment.
- To facilitate access to people and resources.
- To identify and reward excellence in achievement.
- To establish linkages and co-operate with other organizations on matters pertaining to
business, education, economic development and community wellness.
- To build cross-cultural understanding and promote equity.
The BBPA produces the annual BBPA Harry Jerome Awards, a national awards event that recognizes and honours excellence in achievement and supports higher education through the BBPA National Scholarship. In addition, the BBPA sponsors a Black History Month Business Event, The National Black Business and Professional Conference, and we work in partnership with to support community initiatives.
Visit https://bbpa.org/ to find out more information about the BBPA and its programs.
The BBPA run the Following Programs
Speaking Around the Board Table
A public speaking club where leaders in the black community can gather together and discuss/debate various relevant topics in an open group setting, with the goal of getting different ideas and viewpoints across. More information can be found here.
Youth Entrepreneurial Development
- A 20‐week program of Creative and Performing Arts training and Productions for youths interested in social enterprise development and creative arts expressions
- A 14-week Culinary Arts Training program for young entrepreneurs
- Must be between the ages of 15 – 29 years old
- Must have completed grade 10
- Must not be in Full-time post-secondary
- Must not be employed full-time
- Must be interested in entrepreneurship
The BBPA-YP portfolio addresses the BBPA’s mandate of “encouraging young black people to pursue entrepreneurship, higher education, professional excellence and economic empowerment”.Objectives are:
- To address the needs of aspiring young adults through personal and professional development seminars or workshops
- To inspire, motivate and mentor youth in the Black community
- To be an active voice on issues facing young black adults particularly regarding business and economic matters
Areas of focus include:
Career Advice & Mentoring
Programs Comming soon
- Financial Literacy
To find out more about the BBPA visit them at:
Website - https://bbpa.org
Twitter - @TheBBPA
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/thebbpa
Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/thebbpa/